What is a Community Impact Farmland Investment?
Impact Investing refers to investments made into companies and funds with the intention to generate beneficial social or environmental impact alongside a financial return. Community Investing means making investments in locally-owned businesses or nonprofits that generate good jobs and other economic benefits for one’s town, county, state or region. Local Farms Fund invests directly in farmland using an approach that supports early stage farmers and creates a positive impact in the local community.
Why support Local Farms Fund and your Local Farmer?
The best answer to that question is to hear the story of our first farmer, Timothy Biello.
Local Farms Fund is open to all investors in the NYC tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT) looking to have a positive impact on the local farming community and beginning farmers, while also achieving a modest investment return. Under the current offering, Local Farms Fund is raising $1,000,000 and will use the money to purchase at least three farm properties in the NY Foodshed to establish early investment diversity. The Fund is targeting a 3% annual return with 2% to be paid out each year from the rental income on the properties. The remaining capital plus an incremental 1% annual appreciation will be returned upon the sale of the farm property, expected in five to ten years. The minimum investment into the Fund is $10,000. Over a ten year investment horizon, the minimum investment would be expected to return $13,000.
- Farmer driven investment model reduces risks and costs by starting with talented sustainable farmers
- Well-structured and intentional leases lead to improved farmer success, and therefore investment success
- Farmer and farm diversity focused on high growth sustainable and local markets
- Rooted governing principles support democratic ownership with board oversight
- Working Farms Capital, the Manager, has a successfully track record of farmland impact investments
For more information about Local Farms Fund or to receive the investment offering please contact Kevin Egolf, the Co-Founder and Manager at LFF@localfarmsfund.com.